02 03 Dark Things Rising: Accepting the Challenge 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Accepting the Challenge

34

November is here again.  It’s always been my favorite month of the year.  (It’s almost my birthday!)  I’m already looking forward to turkey and stuffing and apple crisp and all my other favorite Fall things.  But this year I’ve added something new to my plate.  This year I’m participating in National Novel Writing Month.  If you’re following me on Facebook or keeping up with my news feed over on my website (check the links on the right-hand side of this page), you probably already know about it, but for those of you who aren’t all caught up, NaNoWriMo is a competition that challenges you to write a 50,000+ word novel between November 1 and November 30 (that’s just 30 days).  It’s not completing a novel in 30 days, mind you.  That would just be silly.  It takes much longer than that just to edit a book properly.  The point is to crank out a fully penned and perfectly flawed rough draft.  And for the first time, I’m participating. 

For any fans who would like to follow along with my progress, make sure you LIKE my Facebook author page.  I’ll be posting my word count updates and a few of my favorite excerpts from the rough draft along the way, as well as interesting discoveries I make along the way.  I always let my work evolve as I write, and often my characters surprise me.  For example, on day two I was delighted to discover my main character’s sense of humor. 

I usually don’t divulge much information about my books this early in the writing process (who knows what might change by the time I arrive at the final page).  But for NaNoWriMo, I’m letting my fans in on more of the process, beginning with the title and synopsis:

Rushed
A horror and suspense novel by Brian Harmon

Eric can't remember the dream that keeps waking him up at night, yet for the past three nights he's risen from this dream with an overwhelming urge to throw his clothes on and leave, as if there's somewhere he desperately needs to be. Twice he returns to his bed, unnerved and embarrassed, half-wondering if he might be losing his mind. On the third night, he decides to let this odd compulsion take its course and sets out into the night, believing that he will find nothing out there and put these odd dreams to rest once and for all. Instead, he finds himself hurled headlong into a nightmarish adventure as his forgotten dream unravels before his eyes one heart-pounding detail at a time.

Rushed will be a stand-alone novel, not a part of The Temple of the Blind series, though it will likely take place in the same universe (as will most of my work).  It will release sometime after book 6, so all my Temple fans don’t have to worry that I’ve forgotten them.  I don’t anticipate it being particularly graphic, though there might be some elements of blood and language scattered throughout the book (only time will tell what will feel right for any given scene).  And I’m drawing inspiration from Dean Koontz’s Odd Thomas books in hopes of ratcheting up the suspense and humor. 

Wish me luck!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38